Saturday, December 6, 2014

In My Oven

One of the best parts of Christmas time and winter is the baking. The cooking. Feasting and filling the tummies of the people you love. I love to bake, as you might know. In fact, I call myself the Master Baker, mostly because it sounds dirty. The Vegan Master Baker, of course. Out of all the seasonal goodies I make, my most favourite is the Cranberry Upside-Down cake. It's simple and divine. Honestly, you won't ever taste anything quite so good.

Here is the recipe:

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake (Vegan, duh)
Ingredients:

1/2 Cup - Earth Balance Butter
1 Cup - Sugar (I use unrefined)
1 Tsp - Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp - Nutmeg
2 Cups - Fresh Cranberries
1 Faux Egg - either a flax egg or egg replacer works, either or. I've used both.
1.5 Tsp - Vanilla
1 and 1/4 Cups - Flour
1.5 Tsp - Baking Powder
1.4 Tsp - Salt
1/2 Cup - Coconut Milk (or non-dairy milk of your desire)

Preheat oven 350

1. Grease bottom of an 8 inch cake pan with 2 tablespoons of the Earth Balance.

2. Mix 1/2 cup of sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle over the bottom of the greased pan, then line pan with the cranberries, spreading as evenly as possible. 

3. Make the cake. Cream the rest of the butter (6 tablespoons) and sugar (1/2 a cup) together. Add the vanilla and faux egg. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt). 

4. Mix with the beater the flour and butter together, alternating the dry with the coconut milk. Once well combined, pour batter over the cranberries. 

5. Bake the cake for about 20-25 minutes, but keep an eye on it. When a toothpick comes out clean it is done! Also, this cake might spill over to place some foil under the pan on the rack. I tip this over onto a place right from the oven because whenever I tried to let it cook the bottom of the cake would stick to the pan and it wouldn't come out nicely. An easy tip is to keep your oven mitts on, put a plate on top of the cake, then tip upside down. Hit bottom of the pan to be sure it comes out. You can also run a knife along the edges to loosen a bit before tipping it over. 

Eat it all up! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy. I'm not vegan, but am going to try making this. Might substitute real eggs (!). My baking skills can be hit-and-miss, so will probably use baking parchment to stop cake from sticking to tin.