Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Addams Family

It's funny how brains work. An example? 

Last night, I was talking to the Sidekick about the items we brought to the Treasure Shack. There's an online login where you can track the things you're trying to sell through them. For some inexplicable reason, this made me think of The Addams Family, the first movie to be exact. I remembered the scene where Morticia is looking for items to donate to the auction for orphans and seniors. So, I tell the Sidekick about it, laughing because I have always found it incredibly funny, and he's listening, but thinking I'm a little crazy. 

Tonight, we've put the film on, and it is brilliant. 

That might seem like a bold statement, but I stand by it. There are too many laughs to count and the brilliancy is in the details and dialogue, like when Morticia is at the employment office and the subject of Gomez comes up. 

The personnel officer says, "What is he - a loafer? A hopeless layabout? A shiftless dreamer?" 

Morticia replies wistfully, "Not anymore." 

It's solid gold. All of it. The whole movie. We could all take a lesson from the Addams family. They love each other unconditionally, not despite their oddities, but because of them. They don't expect each other to change. And they embrace their weird. They let their freak flags fly ... high! Don't we all have a little macabre in us?  

Also, this movie takes me back to when I was a little kid. I used to rent it all the time. It's one of those films that have withstood the test of time. 

What are some films from your youth that you still love to watch? 

No comments: