Friday, April 11, 2014

I Collect Rocks

Remember when Bill Nye collected rocks? He sang a song about putting them in his socks and how he gained weight every time he took a walk. Well, I'm not that cool. I don't have a song about the rocks I collect. Whenever I am out adventuring, I keep my eyes open for heart shaped rocks. Rocks that are in the shape of hearts. 

Apparently, you have to train your eye to spot them. 

There isn't really a reason why I do this. It's just one of those weird quirks I have. For the most part, I will pick up any heart shaped rock I find, but I really like looking for them at the beach. Yesterday, I played hooky from work and spent the day with the Sidekick. We went down island, to Rathtrevor beach and we found the most fantastic driftwood collection I've ever seen. 

Oh, yes, I also collect cool looking driftwood pieces and other things I find fascinating, like beach glass. You might be sitting there, thinking to yourself, what the heck is so amazing about wood that's been kissed by the salty tongue of the sea? And I don't have a great answer for you. Mostly, it's smooth and the inner nature of the wood is tumbled out. Think about what the ocean does to glass. It takes the edge off. The same thing applies to wood. 

Like this amazing horn I found: 


But this isn't about my wood. Err ... I mean, this is about my rocks. My heart shape rocks. And how I refuse to leave the beach until I have found one, or two. Never three though. I can't explain why I do this. It is just something that calms the tempestuousness that brew in my heart. Sometimes there are so many feelings in there, vying for attention, trying to get out. A nice walk on the beach and a three hour search for a heart shaped rock is all I need to settle the storm. 

Here are some of my hearts: 

 
And here are the ones I've found most recently: 


Heart shape rocks. They may seem a weird thing to be grateful for, but they remind me of the love that exists in the world and myself. 

No comments: