Friday, April 25, 2014

Don't Tell Me Your Secrets

Here's the thing about secrets, no one keeps them, except my friend Rae-Anne (who I call Bots). She is, literally, the only person I know who can keep a secret. When my ex and I broke up we only told a select few people. Mostly because we didn't want to have to deal with all the questions and people prodding into our private lives. My ex, we will call him Jay, had this crazy group of friends who were pretty close. They told each other everything. Even things they probably shouldn't have told people.

For some reason, Jay didn't tell his friends we broke up. Trust me, I understood why, it was a really hard breakup and even I only told four people. We didn't want to go through it, let alone talk about or post on Facebook for all and sundry to comment and query over. Bots happened to be one of the four I told about the demise of one of the most important relationships of my life and she happened to be dating one our other good friends, Nick. Off the cuff, I mentioned to her that Jay wanted to tell his friends himself, so not to say anything to Nick.

Well, weeks past. A month. And one day Jay and I decided to go shooting guns with Nick. As we were sitting there, we realized ... Nick didn't know! He had no idea we had broken up. Bots never told him! That's hard to believe, right? I mean, we both thought she would have said something. When it finally did come out in the wash that Jay and I hadn't been together for over a month, it was mighty awkward. Probably something Nick will never forgive. I always joke with Jay if we ever got back together we shouldn't tell Nick. Just because it'd be hilarious.

The point is, Bots can keep a secret.

For the most part, other people don't have that kind of tight-lipped-ness. I certainly don't. Truthfully, I don't have a lot of friends. That said, I tell my Sidekick and sister everything. They know all your secrets. Probably. Sometimes things just don't come up. If your secret is amazing, they will know about it. Even if they don't know about you.

Sorry, it's just the way things are.

And if you want to be sly and get up to something, don't involve me, especially if you are trying to be sneaky with someone else I know. Because they are probably going to find out. Either by me hinting at it, or by me accidentally messing up and telling them about it. Like the time we were throwing a going away party for Claire and we were all exchanging emails and I CC her in on them. What's wrong with me? I don't know.

Just don't tell me your secrets.

No comments: