Friday, February 28, 2014

Just Beecause Cowl

Last night, I put the finishing touches on my latest knitting project. This beautiful black and yellow cowl.


The yarn was given to me by an exotic princess of darkness named Adrianne and was this fluffy lushness that I most definitely had to knit something for myself with. But, I decided, I didn't want to do just any old cowl, so I made up my own pattern and am calling it the Just Beecause Cowl. Beecause because it is a gorgeous black and yellow that were meant to be together forever, in cowl form.

For those looking for the pattern it is really very simple and is right here:

Just Beecause Cowl

I crafted this on size 11 (or 8mm) circular needles and used bulky yarn. Honestly, I can't tell you the name of the yarn because I tossed the tags out. Sorry! You can adjust the needls and yarn accordingly, but just ensure you CO with a number that is divisible by 4 and 3, and also even when divided by 4. Does that make sense? It's because of

CO 144 in colour A and join in the round and place marker.
Row 1 - Knit
Row 2 - *K1, k2tog, yo* repeat to end
Row 3 - Knit
Row 4 - *K1, yo, k2tog* repeat to end
Row 5 - Knit
Row 6 - *K1, k2tog, yo* repeat to end
Row 7 - Knit
Row 8 - *K1, yo, k2tog* repeat to end
Row 9 - Knit
Row 10 - *K1, k2tog, yo* repeat to end
Row 11 - Knit
Row 12 - *K1, yo, k2tog* repeat to end
Row 13 - Knit
Change to colour B
Row 14 - Knit
Row 13-16 - *K4, P4* repeat to end
Row 17-20 - *P4, K4* repeat to end
Row 21-24 - *K4, P4* repeat to end
Row 25-28 - *P4, K4* repeat to end
Row 29-32 - *K4, P4* repeat to end
Row 33-36 - *P4, K4* repeat to end
Row 37 - Knit
Switch to colour A
Row 38 - Knit
Row 39 - *K1, k2tog, yo* repeat to end
Row 40 - Knit
Row 41 - *K1, yo, k2tog* repeat to end
Row 42 - Knit
Row 43 - *K1, k2tog, yo* repeat to end
Row 44 - Knit
Row 45 - *K1, yo, k2tog* repeat to end
Row 46 - Knit
Row 47 - *K1, k2tog, yo* repeat to end
Row 48 - Knit
Row 49 - *K1, yo, k2tog* repeat to end
Row 50 - Knit

Bind Off loosely. Weave in Ends. Block as necessary.

The brilliant part of this pattern is that it is more like a potion and you can change it as necessary. If you only want to do one colour, only do one colour. If you want to do more checks in the middle, do more checks in the middle. If you want to do one row black, the other yellow, feel free. This pattern is adaptable to suit your needs, wants and desires. Do as what pleases you.

Just a little note. I hate blocking, I rarely ever do it, I would rather allow the cowl to curl up and be fabulous.

And here is where I say, I am grateful I have a firm enough grasp of pattern making to understand how to put this cowl together. I love the way it turned out, and it is functional and fashionable. Keeps me warm, and reminds me of our greatest friends, the bees.

No comments: