Friday, February 7, 2014

A Little Gay

Today I am grateful for this ad:



Because it sheds light on the situation in Russia in a light way. In fact, it breaks down the situation in a very simple way, but it is incredibly effective. With only fifteen words, it touches on equality and the basic human right to be included. Now, I haven't said much on the Sochi Olympics. This is because the ideologies Putin is putting forth and how he personally condones shaming, luring, physical and mental abuse to other people confounds and infuriates me. Rage and pity and horror and grief sum up the way I feel, only to be exacerbated when I see the atrocities happening in Russia.

Oppression is not our friend.

People have the fundamental right to exist, be who they are, be happy, and not have to hide or fear being persecuted for something as meaningless as sexuality and sexual preference.

Yes, I truly, from the bottom of my heart feel your sexuality means nothing. The size of your heart, content of your character, and amount of love and understanding you exhibit are the things I take into consideration. Not who you sleep with. It's irrelevant to me. Not to the world, though. And it will continue to be relevant until there is no longer a fight to simply be who you are.

While I wish everyone boycotted the Sochi Winter Olympics, I knew it wasn't going to happen. So I am going to celebrate the little victories. The people who are taking a stand, no matter how small that might be, from Google's pride banner, to Germany's colourful entrance at the opening ceremonies, and this commercial from the Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion and Rethink.

People should know, despite the badness, despite the evil, there are good people, doing good things. There are droves of people who disagree with what is happening. Millions of people who want change. And it will happen. It just might take some time. Until then, watch this commercial, and revel in how perfect it is to have The Human League's 'Don't You Want Me' playing in the background.


1 comment:

Greg said...

I tweeted Google banner this morning. I was most impressed.
Nice post.