Saturday, January 4, 2014

Where I Live

This tiny village that I live is rather enthralling and I am supremely grateful for it. Small town living is totally for me. There are pretty much only a handful of shops on the main street. The only traffic that we get is when the folk from the neighbouring town come over for festivals and special occasions. It kind of reminds me of Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls, except not as nearly big and a little more white trashy.

I just love it.

A little example of why?

Yesterday, I parked like a jerk. Backwards, on the wrong side of the street, and half over the stall behind me. It was the worst parking job I have ever done. I was just popping into the store, but I felt bad as soon as I stepped out of my truck. So much so, I felt the need to point it out to the woman working at the shop. She just laughed and said it was better than most of the parking jobs she's seen out there.

And she said, "The best part is you won't get a ticket. I don't think a ticket has ever been written in our town."

It's true. We don't even have police officers!

It's a beautiful place, truly. It reminds me of the saying 'it takes a village', I think this is what they had in mind.
Just a Friday night in the town I love.

1 comment:

Kay Kauffman said...

Sounds like my hometown. The most traffic we get is when there's something going on at the school.

Probably my favorite small town story relates to my mother-in-law. She came up for a visit one day and arrived before my husband got off work, so she started picking up sticks in our yard since she couldn't get in the house. All of a sudden, her phone rang; it was my husband, who is the local mailman. He asked her if she'd picked up all the sticks, which made her stand up and start looking around.

"Where are you?" she asked.

"Across town," he replied.

The neighbor across the street knew which church we attended and called another member of our congregation, who looked up hubby's cell phone number and gave it to the neighbor, who called hubby and alerted him to a "strange woman picking up sticks" in our yard.

Small towns: Even when you don't know what you're doing, someone else does. :)