Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pet Cujo - Day 4

Friday night kicked off the Stephen King weekend here for Horrorfest! Which means, I am partaking in movies based on King novels. I did in fact watch two movies last night, Pet Sematary and Cujo, but I'll only be reviewing the first, because the later makes me sad. There is something about the neglect of Cujo that gets me angry. I mean, did no one notice the gigantic wound on his poor little nose? These people deserved to be eaten.

Anyway, on we go.

Title: Pet Sematary
Year: 1983
Synopsis: Behind a young family's home in Maine is a terrible secret that holds the power of life after death. When tragedy strikes, the threat of that power soon becomes undeniable.

Tagline: Sometimes dead is better. 

As a pet lover, I'm not to sure why I chose two animal horror movies for one night. That said, I really love Pet Sematary, even though it does suffer some flaws. Let's talk about why I love it first and tackle the 'meh' parts after. 

Right off the bat, this is a zombie movie even though it rarely is ever recognized as one. The proof is in the pudding. The dead come back to life and they dine on people. No matter how you cut the pie, it still equals cannibalistic dead person. Zombie. Still, you won't ever find this in the zombie-fest movie line up, which I always thought rather curious. Why is it this movie isn't given the credit it so deserves? It's missed classification make me feel it is a hidden zombie classic that perhaps only I recognize the genius of.

Another thing you have to enjoy about Pet Sematary is Fred Gwynne. The minute he steps on screen I have to repeat 'Herman Munster' six times, just so everyone in the room knows that this man is the iconic Herman Munster from the hit television show The Munsters. Anyone, who is anyone, who loves horror, will know this man and how awesome he is. His voice is legendary and whenever I hear it I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my belly and imagine him telling Eddie the ups and downs of life.  Oh, hell, I'll just put it here so we can move on. 


From that point on, there is a lot to like about this short movie. The little kid who plays Gage does a bang up job and is very convincing as a demonic brat who just wants to play. Granted, his sister is the most terrible child actor ever to exist, but I hear balance is necessary in life. By far and wide, Church, the family cat, steals the show. Though, I always wondered why Church always seemed to hate Louis, the dad, so much. Right from the opening he only had hisses and growls for the man. Makes me suspicious. 

That said, for a movie called Pet Sematary, there isn't a heck of a lot happening with pets, other than Church's reanimation. There is a veiled back-story that involves a dog, but after not watching this movie for awhile it surprised me that there is actually a very minimalistic pet factor throughout. 

Now for the flaws. Well, I don't understand why Rachel takes the kids to go to her parents' house for Thanksgiving. After all, this is her family and they just got a brand new home, why doesn't she make dinner for the four of them and invite Herman Munster over to join them. Another confusing factor is the suicide of the neighbour. She hanged herself because of cancer, though I am uncertain how this contributes to the plot at all. I am assuming it is to breech the subject of death with Ellie, the daughter. Though it is never truly explained. 

Finally, why doesn't Louis Creed learn his lesson. The ghost of Pascow delivers a message from beyond the grave, heeding Louis of the power of the Pet Sematary. Still, he buries Church there. Then Jud, Herman Munster, better known as Gwynne tells tales of the people and animals who came back after being buried in the Pet Sematary. They are never the same. 

Still, he buries Gage there. Big mistake. And even after having to kill his son afterwards, rather unfairly, as Gage thinks, he still ends up digging a grave for his wife there. The delusional fools seems to think it will be different this time. But it is never different! It makes me think this man deserves what he got. I mean, he was warned more than once. 

This is an entertaining movie and actually quite fun. I have to confess, I think Rachel Creed's history with her sister is absolutely disturbing. And apparently, they couldn't find a woman bony enough to play the part, so Zelda is actually a man! If that doesn't entice you to give it a go, I don't know what will. 

No comments: