Friday, October 4, 2013

Ginger Slaps - Day 3

Last night, day three, was wolf night. I watched Ginger Snaps, which I hadn't seen, and Wolfman (2010) which I have. The reason I am only writing about the first is because I was actually pretty impressed with it.

You know the drill:  

Title: Ginger Snaps
Year: 2000
Synopsis: Two death-obsessed sisters, outcasts in their suburban neighborhood, must deal with the tragic consequences when one of them is bitten by a deadly werewolf.

Tagline: They don't call it the curse for nothing.

For a horror movie buff like me, one might think I would have already watched Ginger Snaps. After all, it came out thirteen years ago. The reason I didn't was because the movie's marketing team complete screwed the pooch. I actually thought this was going to be just another low-budget, tacky, Canadian horror film where the big breasted blonde manages to dupe everyone and save the day. I mean, Ginger Snaps. Is this about cookies?

Not-So-Spoiler-Alert: That isn't the case at all.

With the obvious play on word title and boring synopsis on the back of the box to the side, I actually genuinely liked the Fitzgerald sisters, Ginger and Bridgette. Not only did their obsession with the death intrigue me, it set them apart from the plethora of teen movies with lead characters who had hobbies such as volleyball, writing poetry, shopping and, in general, being generic.

The unique characters weren't the only reason I was enthralled. Right from the first couple minutes, I was curious over the beast that seemed to be terrorizing this town. Though it did spring to mind one question, why was this thing only feasting on the townspeople's dogs. That was solved when Ginger got her period, or curse, or Aunt Flow, and, in doing so, made herself into a target. Stupid girl. Doesn't she know not to get her period while wandering the streets at night. Tsk.

Somehow she lives through the rather brutal attack. Hey, I don't ask questions. I just watch the movie. And, lo and behold, she starts changing. Trust me, I am not spoiling anything telling you this. It is the way Ginger changes and the desperation of Bridgette trying to cure her that is incredibly touching. All this time we though puberty was hard. Little did we know. It's way harder to be a teenage werewolf.

Another big box ticked was the lack of a simpering love story. YAY. Though there may have been a bit of a crush hinted at between Bridgette and Sam, it didn't develop past a subtle possibility the two might have some sort of feelings for one another. Thank God! I am so tired of movies that should be horror turn into teen romances. Oh, the ending didn't cop out and have the young possible lovers fleeing town and the fully transformed Ginger. For that, I add another gold star to the top of their paper.

The only annoyance I suffered was trying to place where I'd seen the actress who played Ginger before. Don't worry. I figured it out. Another little Canadian horror flick called American Mary - go ahead and press play, it's actually fairly fun as well.

Needless to say, Ginger Snaps slapped me across the face and said, 'why didn't you pay attention to me sooner?' For that, I will be forever regretful. But there is nothing like a good Lyken movie to get you howling.

See what I did there?

No comments: