Sunday, May 5, 2013

Deadly Sin

Today I am experiencing one of the deadly sins.

Well, technically, I've experienced a few. I made these really amazing buns for dinner and I wanted to stuff them all in my mouth. I didn't. By some miracle I managed to have a bit of restraint. Still, gluttony was present.

And lust is pretty much a given on any day of the week.

Let's all just hope my wrath never gets released. But those aren't the sins I am talking about. Nope. I'm talking about good old fashioned pride.

I am so incredibly proud of my Sidekick today.

One week ago, he quit smoking. This is a milestone. It is a stepping stone on the way to a happier and healthier life. Really, this is a huge thing. For him. For us. For me alone because I loathe smoking, the smell, the look, the everything.

But it isn't about me. It's about him. And it's something he's been trying to do for a long, long time. Cutting back. E-ciggies. Stressing about it. Then, bam, cold turkey.

And it's been a week. And that's amazing.

I myself haven't had an addiction before. I've never even smoked a cigarette in my life. True story. Not even a puff. So, when it comes to giving things up, I'm probably not the most understanding. I have this whole 'just do it' attitude, which is probably extremely annoying. Though, in my defence, I try to be supportive and understanding.

All this said, I'm so very proud and pleased for him. I mean, this has been one of those things needling me from behind. The truth is, I've dated a smoker before, and I swore I would never do it again. So, how did I end up here?

Well, this here Sidekick is freakin' adorable. Like beyond. And he makes me laugh.

Anyway, just saying, I'm proud. I want to sing it from the mountain tops and crap like that. I'll resort to simply posting about it. Now that I think about it, is pride a deadly sin if it's for someone else? I think not. Oh well. I'm not changing the title now.

2 comments:

Cathleen Holst said...

Congrats to your sidekick. Kicking cigarettes is no easy task. This year marks my third year smoke free, and yet there are days where it's still a struggle for me. Especially with a husband who still smokes.

Kudos to his willpower & to your support.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Yea