Thursday, June 7, 2012

Set Your Heart To It

The other day, I wrote a simple sentence to someone: I can do anything I set my heart to.

It wasn't until he pointed out that the saying is actually "I can do anything I set my mind to" that I realized my error.

But, after a couple moments of pondering it, I decided it wasn't an error at all. Setting my mind to something won't ensure results, because if my heart isn't in it, the drive isn't there. There will be no passion for it. And passion is something we all need, whether it be for art, music, food, movies or anything else that evokes a sense of excitement and enjoyment.

These days we seem to be slaves to our heads. We do all this wondering and analysing. And some of us, a lot of us, completely neglect our hearts. It's all about pro and con lists. Over thinking. Trying to find the point of the matter.

Sometimes the matter has no point. Sometimes it simply is.

Once upon a time, I told a friend to listen to his heart, that it will guide him. Yes, I know Jiminy Cricket told us to always let our conscience be our guide, but in the the original story he was crushed to death. I think I've proven my point there with that random piece of nonsense. Okay, here's the thing, I know some of us have bad hearts, but if you aren't completely evil, your heart will tell you the right thing to do. I mean, it's in there, beating, keeping you alive, pumping blood through your veins.

I tend to think we owe it at least a little attention.

Not too long ago, I decided to try to move through life with love. I set my heart to it. And life has been very different.

You see, it's hard hurting people. It tears your soul apart a little bit at a time. Tiny rips appear in our fabric of being. And over time these holes and slits grow, making it impossible to function. Making existing seem so bloody hard. We hurt each other for all sorts of reasons and it damages ourselves and each other, but it's important to recognize and understand the motivations behind the vindictiveness we harbour and the intentional harm we cause. It often comes from a lack of knowing where we belong and of fear and unhappiness. It's hard to fault people when their misery makes looking at their own reflection impossible.

Lately, I've enjoyed looking in the mirror. Not in the 'look how big my head is' egotistical way. It isn't about a pretty face or rockin' body. It's about heart. And love. I'm not moving through life trying to teach people a lesson any more. I'm not here out of spite, anger, or sadness. I'm not sticking around to damn the man or show anyone I can't be beaten down. I'm here for love. To spread it around.

There are hard days. People can be so infuriating. But if I keep moving forward. If I keep moving with love. Everything will be okay. I've set my heart to it.

And I can do anything I set my heart to.


3 comments:

Heather said...

Beautifully said. You make a great point. I think we are lead around by our minds far too much lately. You've inspired me, thank you!

Tee said...

Any time! ♥

Exmoorjane said...

:) And once again, I don't need to blog. xxx