Monday, August 15, 2011

A Sad Day

Today is a sad day.

And no, it isn't because, for the first time in years, I awoke in my own bed without Oliver's doe-like eyes staring at me and his tail wagging. Though, now that you mention it, that was rather heart-breaking. But my chin is up, and I powered through my morning routine.

No, the sad part came when I got to work and realized that Claire really did leave. It wasn't just some kind of sick joke.

Here's the thing, great co-workers are few and far between. My little team had came together, started a plog, got comfortable enough to create new people like Nosferatu to work with, and really had hit their stride as a team. People to rely on. People to laugh with. What more can you want?

But Claire had goals. Which is both terribly sad and terribly annoying. Well, that's a joke, but only slightly, because if I could have made her stay here with me for all of eternity I would have. Makes me really regret not going for lunch with her the last couple of months.

Her cubicle was cleared out. The art work taken down. The drawings erased from her white board. A goodbye note left behind. No more mess. No more snacks strewn about. And the most sob-worthy thing, her Halloween up left behind, for me.


I'd be lying if I said I didn't well up.



No comments: