Thursday, July 14, 2011

No Faith

I don't work with children.
For some reason, I felt that needed to be stated before we continued. It's important for you to know that. It is. If you didn't know this tiny little fact then the rest of the blog might actually be lost on you.
Oh, I also don't work with people with special needs.
Although, it isn't lost on me that working with people with special needs would be more rewarding and, at times, easier than working with some of the people I interact with on a day-to-day basis. 
Of course, I am not talking about certain individuals. No, I am casting a general net over the whole company. 
None of them are special needs. Well, not that I know of.
So, there you have it. I do not work with children or people with special needs. Nor do I work with children with special needs.
To be blunt, I work with adults who drive to work, have children, function relatively easily, don't have to overcome too many hurdles when they get out of bed, and who, as a general rule, are able to understand the concept of personal hygiene.
Or so I thought.
Our place of employment has posted signs near every sink for our convenience.
They look like this:



















Do you see why it was important to stress who I don't work with?
Children don't know how to wash their hands. Not adults.
But apparently, they don't.
I have absolutely no faith in people anymore. If they can't handle a simple task such as washing their hands then what else are they incapable of doing. Every time I look at these signs I feel a bit of rage rise up in the back of my throat.
You see, I learned how to wash my hand when I was about four years old. Granted, I wasn't the most diligent at that age, but I still understand the concept of getting my hands clean.
The really disturbing part of these posters popping up is that they make me wonder what happened to make the big guys in the fancy offices decide we need them? My mind rampages through all the possibilities.
Oh, the horror.
It leaves me positively disturbed, and only furthers my desire to, one day, be able to work from home, behind my little desk, weaving wonder tales in Microsoft Word.
At first I was surprised by this, but I really shouldn't have been. After all, we are talking about people who don't seem to understand the importance of flushing toilets. But that's a story for another time.

1 comment:

Jasmine Walt said...

It's not surprising, really. We are using a schooling system invented by the Prussians whose sole purpose was to cast a net of mind control over the entire populace.

The Prussians are long gone. Is it any wonder that so many of us are no longer able to think for ourselves, that the literacy level is dropping, that so many of us are 'visual learners' who need to consult diagrams in order to survive?