Thursday, March 4, 2010

Take It Up With My Mother

The other night I returned a call from my parents. My mother answered. It was nearing eleven, so I figured I would get in a quick, "hi, how's it going?, give the dog and cat a pat, goodnight" conversation. As it turns out, it wasn't so.

There were the usual exchanges of pleasantries. How's work? How's writing? How's your love life? Okay, she didn't ask about my love life, but it wouldn't have surprised me if she had.
The conversation took on a life of its own and ended up stretching into nearly an hour. We got on the subject of how much we don't like humans. I expressed to her my feelings that humans are using what isn't theirs, the earth. We abuse the planet then wonder why it's in the state it is in.
She feels the same way.

We bashed humans for awhile. Griped about how people aren't actually in the know of what is going on in their own backyards. We discussed how B.C is falling behind their provincial brothers. (As in the fact that our standard of living is high and yet we still have the lowest minimum wage, why is it less than Newfoundland?) We talked about how people eat meat because it was the way they were raised. Many people grew up thinking meat on a plate was a sign of being stable. And we yammered on about how people disassociate themselves away from the fact that what is on their plate isn't a brother to one of those cute-ass tea-cup pigs. The final point was how we don't want to live around people, being alone seems like the only way to survive.

There is nothing better than these sweet little chats with my mother to put the world into perspective. :o(

After I hung up the phone, I thought, shit-I am my mother's daughter.
So if you don't like my disenchanted, skeptical, cynical, some-what grumpy view of the world, take it up with my mother.



No comments: