Friday, April 24, 2009

Equal Rights For All

I get extremely agitated when people disagree with my views.

Errr...that doesn't make me sounded open minded.

Let me correct myself.

I get extremely agitated when people disagree with my views on equal rights.

Much better. Well, maybe not...but let me continue...

I feel if you are born into this world, via vagina or c-section, then you should be given the same rights as everyone else. If a man wants to marry another man and that man wants to marry him in return - Excellent! They should be able to make this mistake like all the rest of us heterosexual peoples.

Besides, it isn't hurting anyone. It's not infringing on anyone else's rights. And, to be frank, it really isn't any of our business. Saying it is unholy and going against God's plan is what I call utter tripe. Like any of us insignificant human beings have an iota of what God's plan is. It's narrow minded people spouting off bible jargon because they can't come up with their own reasons.

And, to make it clear, Jesus was all about the love. For everyone. You can't go picking and choosing who you are going to love and not judge.

Just be prepared to back your mouth up with some actual facts and not just watered down versus of the bible. If you say it emotionally hurts people, I say you need to grow up. It doesn't emotionally hurt anyone. But you know what does? Badgering, bullying and brutalizing people and forcing them to hide who they are from the people they love. Well, that's pretty damaging, don't you think?

Saying it isn't right is the same excuse racists use when they say blacks shouldn't marry whites. And it's wrong. Homosexuals are humans and as humans they are entitled one thing - equal rights. That means, a good job, a decent home, the right to vote, to have kids and to marry the person they are in love with.

Here is the thing, some of my gay friends have better relationships than half the straight people I know. And the only thing that should come into play when deciding whether someone should and shouldn't be married is love. Can gay people love? YES! Than let them wed!

I hate it when people go on and on about the sanctity of marriage.

Is it more sacred for two drunk people in Vegas to get married? Is it more sacred for parents to organize a marriage for two teenagers? Is it more sacred for to people who don't get long, fight constantly to get married, only to get divorced six months down the road? I didn't think so.

My advice, just let people be. And get over yourselves because, drum roll please, it isn't about you!

No comments: